What is Syren?
Syren is a topical pain relief gel for women with acute or chronic vulva pain.
What are the types of vulva pain that can be treated by Syren?
Types of vulva pain that can be treated by Syren include vulva burning and itching, vulvodynia, vestibulodynia and vestibulitis.
What are the symptoms of Vulvodynia or Vulva Pain?
Vulva pain or Vulvodynia may present as burning, stinging, irritation, itching, pressure, or rawness.
Typically, vulvodynia is not related to an underlying condition. The exact cause is usually unknown.
Factors that may raise the risk of vulvodynia include:
- Damage to or irritation of the nerves around the vulva
- A high density of pain-sensing nerve fibers in the vulval area
- Chronic inflammation
- Genetic susceptibility
- Weak pelvic floor muscles
- Unusual or long-term reaction to infection, trauma, or another environmental factors
- Hormonal changes
Other factors that increase susceptibility include:
- Frequent yeast infections
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Chemical irritation of the external genitals, caused by soaps, feminine hygiene products or detergents in clothing
- Rashes on the genital area
Previous laser treatments or surgery on the external genitals
- Nerve irritation, injury or muscle spasms in the pelvic area Diabetes
What are the causes of vulvodynia or chronic vulva pain?
Vulvodynia / vulva pain can be triggered or aggravated by:
- sexual intercourse
- tampon insertion
- a gynecologic examination
- wearing tight underclothes or pants
- activities such as cycling or horseback riding
What activities can aggravate Vulvodynia?
The active ingredient in Intimate Relief is Lidocaine 4%, a local anesthetic that is absorbed through the skin of the vulva and works at the level of the superficial peripheral nerves to block the transmission of pain signals. Intimate Relief also contains other compounds that help soothe the burning and itching pain that is common with vulvodynia and vestibulitis.
How does intimate relief work to treat vulva pain?
Side effects include a numbing sensation, and a possible brief and mild sting on application.
How often can I use Syren Intimate Relief?
You may use intimate relief several times a day.
Can I apply Syren Intimate Relief inside my vagina?
Syren Intimate Relief is for external use only. It should not be applied inside the vagina.
What if some of the gel inadvertently slips into my vagina?
If Intimate Relief gel enters the vagina, it should not cause any serious harm or side effects.
However, you may experience numbing of your vagina which may be significant and may lead to decreased sensation. This may last several hours before resolving.
Can I use Syren Intimate Relief if I am pregnant?
There is no contraindication to using intimate relief while you are pregnant but contact your doctor before use.
What are some contraindications to using Syren Intimate Relief?
Do not apply Intimate Relief over wounds, open sores, or cuts in the skin.